Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is an easy side dish that can be made ahead of time. Tender bundles of asparagus are wrapped in smoky bacon and roasted to perfection.
This side dish is one of our favorite asparagus recipes and is great next to almost any meal.
A Favorite Bacon Wrapped Side
- Bacon-wrapped vegetables are so tasty; what doesn’t go with bacon?
- They’re elegant and easy, and the combination of asparagus and bacon is a favorite!
- These asparagus bundles can be made up to 48 hours ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.
- Turn it into an appetizer by individually wrapping asparagus spears.
- Just like Bacon-Wrapped Green Beans, the asparagus is roasted until tender and the bacon is nice and crisp.
Ingredients for Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
ASPARAGUS – Look for deep green stalks of asparagus with a tinge of green or purple at the tips. Select bunches that are uniform in size and color for easier prep and cooking.
I prefer thicker asparagus stalks for roasting but for more tender asparagus, choose thinner stalks (as they cook faster). Season the asparagus stalks with salt and black pepper before wrapping.
BACON – I use regular cut bacon for this recipe. For thick cut bacon, choose thicker spears. Bacon can be swapped for prosciutto (prosciutto doesn’t need to be pre-cooked).
Bacon slices are partially cooked in the air fryer or on the stove. Pre-cooking the bacon a bit makes sure it gets nice and crisp when it roasts without overcooking the asparagus.
Short on Time?
Purchase pre-cooked bacon to save the step of pre-cooking the bacon.
If using precooked, be sure to select thinner asparagus spears so they cook through.
Sprinkle the bundles with a little parmesan cheese and garlic or sweeten the bacon with brown sugar, maple syrup or honey. Drizzle with balsamic glaze or a little bit of sriracha.
How to Prepare Asparagus
- To prepare the asparagus, gently hold each end of the stalk and bend it. The woody ends of the asparagus will naturally snap off and can be discarded.
- Rinse the asparagus well, but don’t let it soak in water.
- Pat dry after rinsing, if it is wet it will steam instead of roast.
How to Make Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus
- Wash & trim asparagus. Drizzle with oil and season per the recipe below.
- Partially cook bacon in a skillet or in the air fryer (3-4 minutes).
- Wrap each bacon strip around small bundles of asparagus and secure with a toothpick.
- Roast until bacon is crisp and asparagus is tender.
Tips for an Easy Side
- Place the prepped asparagus spears on a rimmed baking sheet with oil and seasonings and toss to combine. Not only is the asparagus being seasoned, but the pan is being greased at the same time!
- Wrap the asparagus with a piece of bacon right on the pan so there is only one dish to wash!
- You can cook this on a wire rack but I don’t find it makes much of a difference for the extra effort of washing it. Parchment paper will save on clean up.
- For smaller spears, cook them for about 15 minutes, larger spears take about 20 minutes.
- If the bacon is not crisped enough when the asparagus is tender, broil for a few minutes before serving.
Did you make these Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus spears? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Or to leave a comment, click here!
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Green bundles of asparagus are wrapped in savory bacon and roasted to tender perfection.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Rinse the asparagus, dab dry and break off any woody ends.
Place bacon in a pan and partially cook (do not crisp or brown) over medium heat for about 5 minutes or air fryer for 3-4 minutes.
Place asparagus on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine.
Wrap 5 asparagus spears with one slice of bacon. Secure with a toothpick and place on the same baking sheet. Repeat with remaining bundles.
Bake 15-20 minutes or until asparagus is tender and bacon is crisp. Broil 1 minute if desired.
Shortcut Tip: Purchase pre-cooked bacon to save this step. If using precooked, be sure to select thinner asparagus spears and reduce cooking time. Bacon can be swapped for prosciutto (prosciutto doesn’t need to be pre-cooked).
Variations: Sprinkle the bundles with a little parmesan cheese or sweeten the bacon with brown sugar, maple syrup, or honey.
To Grill: After wrapping the asparagus spears with bacon, secure them with a toothpick and either place them directly on the grill or on a fine mesh screen or grill mat to keep the spears from falling into the grill.
To Cook in the Air Fryer: Air fry the bacon-wrapped asparagus at 370°F for 9-11 minutes or until tender and the bacon is crisp.
Or to leave a comment, click here!
Calories: 139 | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 147mg | Potassium: 205mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 615IU | Vitamin C: 4.5mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1.8mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.