Air Fryer Grilled Cheese – Spend With Pennies
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a classic lunch that’s quick and easy to make in an Air Fryer.
An air fryer grilled cheese has a perfect toast on the outside while the cheese inside is melted to perfection.
Perfect Grilled Cheese in the Air Fryer
Making an air fryer grilled cheese sandwich is quick and easy.
- You can make 4 sandwiches at once (I have a Cosori XL 5.8qt), perfect for feeding a crowd.
- The Air Fryer toasts both sides evenly and with just a little bit of butter.
- They come out perfectly crispy with gooey melted cheese.
- Cleanup is a breeze, just a wipe of the basket.
- This is a great beginner air fryer recipe and great for kids.
Pair with homemade fresh tomato soup for a delicious meal.
BREAD – Any type bread will work, from sandwich bread to French bread, so use what you have on hand. Thick slices of sourdough also make a great air fryer for grilled cheese.
BUTTER – Lightly spread butter or mayonnaise on the bread. Alternatively, you can use cooking spray or olive oil.
CHEESE – Opt for cheese slices over shredded cheese. For a perfect sandwich, use a couple of slices of cheddar cheese and a single slice of processed cheese to melt together.
Sharp cheddar cheese has a great flavor but, there are plenty of other cheeses to try like American cheese, provolone, gouda, gruyere, or swiss.
How to Make an Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Truly the best air fryer grilled sandwich ever, and so easy to make!
- Butter both slices of bread and place two slices in the air fryer basket, butter side down.
- Top with cheese and another piece of buttered bread.
- Air fry for 4-6 minutes until golden brown.
Cooking time can vary slightly based on your air fryer so check it early.
If the bread (or cheese) is thin or light, it might blow off the sandwich while cooking.
To ensure your sandwich stays together, use thicker bread and cheese, or lightly butter both sides of the bread. You may also secure it with toothpicks.
- No need to flip the sandwiches, the air fryer will toast it evenly on both sides.
- Mayo can be used in place of butter.
- Use a toothpick to secure the layers until the cheese melts.
- Change up the cheese or try other additions like ham or bacon.
Keep the leftover sandwiches in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The best way to reheat grilled cheese sandwiches is to re-toast them in the air fryer for a couple of minutes.
Cube leftover sandwiches, toast them in the oven, and make them into cheesy croutons for tomato soup!
Grilled Cheese Variations
Did you love these Air Fried Grilled Cheese Sandwiches? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Or to leave a comment, click here!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Cheesy and golden brown, these air fryer grilled cheese sandwiches are so easy to make for lunch, dinner, or a snack!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Preheat the air fryer to 350°F.
Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place the cheese between two slices of bread, with the buttered side facing out.
Place the sandwiches in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
Cook for 4-6 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Serving: 1sandwich | Calories: 481 | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 743mg | Potassium: 165mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 919IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 490mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.